Last Thursday Meredith Grey’s voiceover took us on a trip to Cancerland where doctors and patients play the hide-and-seek game with the deadly disease. The big medical case of the week was a cancer patient and required a bunch of doctors, their medical skills and knowledge. But cancer wasn’t the only thing hiding. Some doctors had to keep their relationships a dirty secret and sneak around to have a “little something” because of the new hospital rule (What would’ve said Mark Sloan about it if he was alive?) while others had to fill in the fancy position as panty police.
Callie Torres and Arizona Robbins were also playing some version of the hide-and-seek game. However, their game involved unpacking boxes and sparkling jewellery.
On an early morning at the Torres/Robbins sanctuary, Callie was very insistent for Arizona to open one of the many boxes crowding their bedroom in the new house. Reluctantly, Arizona approached and opened a box chosen by Callie. Arizona was nicely surprised when she found a tiny blue box, containing a special piece of jewellery- a ring. The surprise caused Dr. Robbins to swallow all of her English grammar and the only thing she was able to do, was to utter her wife’s full name. Something we haven’t heard for a very long while.
So, Callie and Arizona extended their jewellery collection with one more meaningful item. But what actually makes this little, sparkling piece of metal so important? Callie engraved the actual date when she and Arizona moved in to the new house. A ring that will symbolise from now on Arizona’s new beginning but also Callie and Arizona’s fresh start as a married couple, as a family.
And while Callie was doing some doctoring at the hospital, Arizona spent the day showing off her new ring and telling people the story about it. Later that day when the happy couple got home, they engaged in even happier activities (Blink and you’ll miss it).
The writers most certainly keep feeding us with bread crumbs but even those little things mean a lot. The couple doesn’t have to hide their love and Arizona proudly and happily can flash around the gift from her loving wife.
Meanwhile in the hospital:
- The new hospital rule came into force; The most upset resident about the rule was Jo;
- Leah was revealed as the anonymous person who filed the reports;
- Alex and Jo faked a broke- up, very convincing and well executed one. Their secret didn’t stay as a secret for long;
- Derek got the fancy job at The White House;
- Meredith’s research has been put on hold;
- Dr. Hunt became the new head of the cheating department- first he slept with Cristina and then broke up with Emma;
- Pretty boy and crazy April went public with their marriage;
- The residents showed signs of progress in the friendship and team work department;